moderated Re: Suggested updates to message footer

Samuel Murrayy

On 2019/02/27 11:20 AM, Dave Sergeant wrote:

There must be a clear and easy to find option for people to reply to a
post direct to sender and quote the original. The fact that people keep
asking means it is not clear and easy...
Unfortunately, quoting the original (when using an e-mail program) can only happen if the user clicks a button in the e-mail program itself.

I'm sure you're aware, there is no way to formulate a hyperlink in an e-mail that causes the subsequently opening draft message to contain a quote from the original message.

My advice to users of my Yahoogroup has always been:
1. Go to the bottom of the message and copy the sender's address.
2. Then click the REPLY button.
3. Then delete the group's e-mail address in the TO field and paste the sender's address in it.

This involves three steps (too many for some, but not too many for most) but is reasonably simple.

With the current HTML footer, I would have to explain to users that they must right-click the "Reply To Sender" link to get the sender's e-mail address, and hope that users' e-mail programs are smart enough to strip the fake "subject line" from the link when pasting in the TO field.

What do you think of the Yahoogroups method, i.e. that the sender's e-mail address is mentioned in clear text in the footer?

==

By the way, I've just noticed that when you reply via the web interface, the original e-mail is not quoted. Now I understand why people [think that they need to] copy/paste stuff when replying via the web interface.

Oh, wait, I've just noticed the small balloon icon in the "Formatting" toolbar, and yes: that is the button you should click to quote the post you're replying to.

It also took me a while to figure out how to send a reply to sender via the web interface. Most intuitive for me would have been that the "More" nav burger would have an option "Reply to sender", or that clicking the "Reply" link would give me that option, or that there be a separate button called "Reply To Sender". Instead, you have to click the "Reply" link and then click the "Private" link on the far right of the screen, which causes the green "Reply to Group" button to change into a blue "Reply To Sender" button. Worth putting that in my group's FAQ...

Samuel