moderated Re: Suggested updates to message footer

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 09:59 AM, Samuel Murray wrote:
The names of the links "Reply To Group" and "Reply To Sender" imply that clicking them will cause a reply to be sent to either the group or the original sender. In reality, clicking those links cause a NEW e-mail to be sent (not a reply).

It is most usual for a "reply" to quote the original message. When you reply privately to the sender, you typically want to quote at least part of the original message. The same applies to replying to the group: it is counter-productive if members send messages to the group as if they are "replies", but without quoting anything of the original message.
Using "Reply to group" results in the message created still being correctly threaded on the web forum, which implies to me that it would also keep it threaded correctly in an e-mail reader.   It is, in every sense of the word, a reply.

I generally strip anything from a previous message from my replies unless something must be maintained for context.  I'd give my eye teeth if most users would strip out the utterly unnecessary bottom quoting of virtually the entirety of an ongoing thread.  If you read via the web interface, the whole topic is right there.  If you're using an e-mail client, you should be using threaded/conversation view so that you can find earlier messages for topics you're actively participating in.

Endless bottom quoting makes searching the archive for a specific piece of information sheer hell when you're trying to go "straight to the original source."