moderated Apply to Join button on the main group screen

Beth Weld

I have a restricted group, and I do not want people to be able to apply to join the group from the main group page (the one you see if you aren't logged in).  I have tried everything I know to tell people not to use the "Apply" button, but apparently no one reads.  When we deny the pending request, it causes confusion and angst no matter what we tell them about how to join the organization and therefore the group (again, if people would read!).

Please - can we have an option to make that button disappear if the group is restricted? I'd rather just not even have it for a restricted group, but I'm sure that some other groups use it even for a restricted group.
Thanks
Beth Weld