moderated Re: From address re-writing

Me having a Yahoo address, my From line has been rewritten from the beginning, and I'm happy with that. If I suddenly switched domains to one that didn't need rewriting, but the option were there to enable it anyway, I would likely take that option. I like that recipients can easily distinguish using the From line if I posted or am directly mailing them.

Tight groups of members, which are likely to all be on one particular domain, might prefer it the other way, where the From line reflects the member's email address. If I have a team of 20 from whatever.org, and I want to auto-filter all mail from whatever.org in some way, having to worry about a groups.io domain complicates things. It's not something that couldn't be worked around, just more complicated. I don't know if anyone actually does this; I just like to think up situations where something would be harder.

JohnF