moderated Re: From address re-writing

I don't know any of the general answers, but I would like to reiterate that currently, the bcc on a Send Message to member is not being handled properly in gmail and still (or rather, again, since after the "From" rewriting for the other messages sent back to the same member) results in the spam warning.

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 1:44 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

There seem to be four cases where we need to re-write the From address (and possibly Reply-To/CC) in a message:

1) When DMARC says we have to, we re-write the From line in messages *from* that domain.
2) When someone is on a @gmail.com domain, we need to re-write the From line in messages that they originate that we send back to them.
3) When someone is using Gmail on a different domain, we need to re-write the From line in messages that they originate that we send back to them (same as #2 except we can't use a simple @gmail.com check).
4) The From line in all messages sent *to* (many/most) Exchange servers.

We currently do 1 and 2. From the other topic, here are the proposed new settings:

- Per user setting to have all From lines re-written in messages to themselves.
- Per group setting to have all From lines re-written in messages sent within the group.

Shal proposed the group setting be in the default sub settings page. But I don't know how that would work. None of those existing settings have a corresponding user setting, which makes it easy to just use them when creating a subscription. If this was a default sub setting, how would we know when to use the default sub setting vs the user's setting?

I also propose a third, system wide, maintained by me list of domains that are known to run Exchange/corresponding to #4 above. This list of domains would over-rule the per-user and per-group setting in forcing From line re-writing of messages sent to those domains. I'd ask people with knowledge of these domains to send them to me.

Thoughts?