moderated Re: Give unsubscribing members ‘special notice’ option if no-email is disabled #suggestion

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

I also think it's a crying shame that a very great many Groups.io members have no idea how exquisite the level of control over e-mail volume can be if one knows how to do it.  This has been an issue on multiple occasions in several of the groups on which I participate, so I have put the following document together to educate our members:

Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io

That document is aimed at blind or visually impaired members who use a screen reader, but can be easily adapted back to "sighted methods and terminology." There is really no reason to get "too many e-mails" even on wildly busy lists provided most of the traffic is not new topics.  Using the "Following Only" coupled with its associated "First Message Also" control knocks the number of e-mail messages coming through way down and allows you to choose whether you wish any additional ones for a given topic to come through.  If one changes one's mind at some point for a topic one was following you can either unfollow or mute it.