moderated Re: Wiki requests

Sharon Villines

On Jan 31, 2019, at 9:11 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

I guess I'm not understanding what you want here, or why it would be different. The PDFs can be stored in the Files section, then add links in the Wiki. Seems like it adds up to the same thing. Only members have access to the files, so the Wiki could be public if you want, but non-members wouldn't be able to open the files.
This is exactly the reason we don’t allow attachments on an active email list of 3000+. When the attachment is one place and the message somewhere else, they get delinked or set up with different permissions, etc. The attachments get deleted and the message then makes no sense in a year. Easier to require the whole message to be the whole message.

The same thing will happen with a wiki. It’s incredibly frustrating to see links to things that you can’t access or are missing. At least if it is all stored together, you have a chance of creating archives that are useful in 10 years.

For example, I frequently research all mentions of a topic over a period of 20 years. I arrange the messages from 3-5 related lists into one chronological list. This has been incredibly helpful in figuring out the history of decisions related to the HVAC or a pesky neighbor.

But at one point, Yahoo decided without notice to delete all attachments on messages with no way to either save or retrieve them. Suddenly years of documents were gone. Hundreds and hundreds of drafts, photos, etc.

I remain highly leery of Google’s integrated apps and things being entered in one place but stored in another. Better to have no attachments and reference the files for PDFs if that is where they really are.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"We're only the light bulbs, and our job is just to remain screwed in.” Bishop Desmond Tutu