locked Re: Roadmap

The requirements in relation to structuring links will vary enormously from one
group to another. I would suggest simple links with associated (limited)
explanatory text, but with the addition of an owner/moderator-defined structure
along the lines of Yahoo's hierarchy of photo albums. Groups with limited need
for just a few links (like my own on Yahoo) would then not need any
structuring, but it would be available for others who need it.

Remember that links are not necessarily to sites (or sub-sites like blogs and
other social media) operated by members, but can be any site related to the
group's objects.

I think it would be a mistake not to make links clickable - that would just
make them more difficult to use, with no obvious benefit.

Jim Fisher

On 1 Nov 2014 at 1:11, @whoguy wrote:

Here's my idea for an improved links section layout. I was going to
post it to the Yahoo! suggestion board, but I suspect it would gain
more traction here.
Back when Yahoo! Groups was created, people tended to only have a
basic web presence. These days, they're just as likely to have
multiple links for twitter, facebook, pinterest, youtube, etc. This
leads to problems when trying to generate a usable links section. Do
you create separate folders for each platform, forcing members to
constantly switch, or create a lot of redundant entries in the main
folder for people to plow through?
One solution would be to allow for several links to appear within a
single entry. It could have a main entry, the text of which would form
the basis of its alphabetical listing, and sub-links which would
automatically translate themselves into icons for things like facebook
and twitter. These would then appear as clickable icons next to the
main entry and, possibly, in text form at the bottom of the entry.
Main Link (facebook)(twitter)(pinterest)(YouTube), etc.
Another idea would be to make Main Link a text-only descriptor,
instead of a clickable link.

--
http://www.jimella.me.uk - my personal web site covering many subjects
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom