locked Re: Allow mods with appropriate privileges to edit messages in a locked topic #suggestion

And regarding Brian’s point that moderators are assumed to be savvy enough to do the job, that also applies to the other thread where someone was worried that moderators would inadvertently approve mdmbership requests in a restricted group before the pending questionnaire comes in. It’s ok to assume users are not savvy and make every allowance for them, but you don’t appoint moderators randomly. At least, I don’t.

On Jan 11, 2019, at 9:14 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 12:02 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
I suspect that in most groups, topics are locked for a good reason.
I doubt anyone would argue that point.

I doubt that most owners and moderators are not capable of exercising enough forethought with regard to editing a message or topic title that there is any significant risk from allowing them to do so at will.

The problem now is that one must unlock a topic in order to make any changes.  This has the potential to allow random members to jump right in on a topic again, and I've seen that sort of thing happen.   I wouldn't object if I were presented with a dialog or similar saying, "This topic is locked.  Are you certain you wish to proceed?," but then allowing me to say, "Yes."  If that's not enough (too much, I'd say for myself) to prevent an "oh s**t" moment then nothing will.

On BleepingComputer.com, where I'm currently a moderator, the following appears above the compose area for locked topics, in red:  Be aware that this topic is locked. You have permission to reply to locked topics.

All of the other moderator controls for said topic are available via the normal controls (delete, split, etc.) sans any warning at all.

Everyone's different, but my expectation of anyone who's in the role of moderator, anywhere, is that they would be very circumspect before taking any action that's irrevocable (whether literally or practically).

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

I can hire one half of the working class to kill the other half.

~ Jay Gould, U.S. financier & railroad robber baron (1836 - 1892)

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Join main@beta.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.