locked Re: Allow mods with appropriate privileges to edit messages in a locked topic #suggestion

What  Brian points out is of the essence. It’s more dangerous right now, with having to unlock a topic, edit the message, and then rush right back ASAP to lock it again. I usually put the topic temporarily on moderation to avoid mishaps, but that’s even more steps. And it’s not ideal to even allow messages to come in during the interim, while it’s on moderation, and respond to them individually with ecplanstions thst the topic is ‘actually locked.’ IMO the current situation is very clearly the wrong way to do things and should be fixed.

On Jan 11, 2019, at 9:14 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 12:02 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
I suspect that in most groups, topics are locked for a good reason.
I doubt anyone would argue that point.

I doubt that most owners and moderators are not capable of exercising enough forethought with regard to editing a message or topic title that there is any significant risk from allowing them to do so at will.

The problem now is that one must unlock a topic in order to make any changes.  This has the potential to allow random members to jump right in on a topic again, and I've seen that sort of thing happen.   I wouldn't object if I were presented with a dialog or similar saying, "This topic is locked.  Are you certain you wish to proceed?," but then allowing me to say, "Yes."  If that's not enough (too much, I'd say for myself) to prevent an "oh s**t" moment then nothing will.

On BleepingComputer.com, where I'm currently a moderator, the following appears above the compose area for locked topics, in red:  Be aware that this topic is locked. You have permission to reply to locked topics.

All of the other moderator controls for said topic are available via the normal controls (delete, split, etc.) sans any warning at all.

Everyone's different, but my expectation of anyone who's in the role of moderator, anywhere, is that they would be very circumspect before taking any action that's irrevocable (whether literally or practically).