moderated Re: Why not allow Edit w/o resending

Right. And this is apparently Ground Hog Day. 🦊

On Dec 18, 2018, at 5:18 PM, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 08:03 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
Correct. I think that decision was an overreaction.

I've seen enough cases now where a member made an inconsequential spelling or grammatical fix which really didn't merit re-sending to everyone's email Inbox, the Edited flag on site would have been sufficient.
All I can say is, you're lucky. I have seen the flip side of this -- where the edits made are NOT inconsequential, and in fact changed the entire tone of the original post.

Unlike group owners, the vast majority of my subscribers do the most of their interaction via email. These folks do not routinely have access to the Edited flag, or previous message revisions...they don't even know such features exist. They only know what has appeared in their inbox.

Please consider how disconcerting it would be to reply to someone's email -- even perhaps quote part of the text -- only to eventually log on and find that the original post now bears no resemblance to the email they replied to. If we're going to allow people to edit their posts at all, forcing those edits to be resent to the group is one thing that groups.io got right.

My $0.02,
Bruce