moderated Re: Identically named topics

Barbara Byers

I think it's fine the way it was.

I know it's happened a few different times that folks in my group may have used the same topic name as a previous post unintentionally, where you would NOT want it threaded on to the previous posts.  Something like "Action Alert" or "Meeting tomorrow".  Yes it's sloppy naming because it isn't very specific, but I would agree with you, if someone posted it as a NEW Topic post, then I would also assume they did it intentionally.  I guess I always assumed I would use a reply function if I wanted the post to be in the same thread.  But that's me.

Barb

On 2018-12-18 12:23 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 1:51 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Currently, members can start an infinite number of topics with the same name. Should this be allowed, or should messages bearing the same name as an already existing topic be threaded into that topic?

If you're referring to messages posted via the website, then this was by design. The thought process being that someone using the 'New Topic' post feature definitely wanted a new topic. This was different than messages received via email, where we did try to merge them into existing topics.

I've changed it so that if someone posts a new topic via the web, it's treated the same as if we had received an email, and should be combined to an existing, recent topic of the same name.