locked Re: Issues with thread renaming

ro-esp

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 09:46 am, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 9:34 PM, Nikolay Kolev <nikolaynkolev@gmail.com>
wrote:

If you rename a thread, the old name still stays in the activity log,
which is not a huge issue. The real issue is that when people reply to
messages, the old thread name is used and thus a new thread is created
redundantly. This happens both from the web UI and via email replies.
Mark answered:
I can think of a couple different ways of dealing with this:

- When you change a thread's subject, have the system send out an email to
the group saying 'Hey, this is the new subject, start replying to this
email instead'
hmm

- We just disable the subject line check for threads that have had their subject's changed.
Yes, if I change the subjectline, it means I *want* the messages to be findable under the NEW subjectline, not buried under a bunch of other messages with the OLD one. [Ideally, changing is done in the "topic B (was:topic A)" format ].
Also, if I change the subject to an existing one, chances are I *want* the message to be listed under that.

Worse still: if I send two replies from the same digest, I want them to have different subjects. I *don't* want the second or third to be listed under the subjectline of the first one (open door? Tell that to googlegroups..)

Everything will work fine except if someone decides they want to start a new thread by replying to an existing message and
changing the subject.
?? do you mean "NOT changing the subject"?

groetjes, Ronaldo