moderated Re: Starting separate thread on new "email" feature

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 10:15 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Would you also consider allowing individual members (in a group with directory viewable by subscribers) to opt out of the email feature, in case they prefer not to be contacted but don't want to make their profile invisible?
And that's generally an option on most forums with regard to private messaging, whether said private messaging comes via e-mail or an internal messaging system or, as is also often the case, both.  One forum on which I moderate sends e-mail messages indicating that a private message has been received, and with a copy of its contents, but all actual messaging occurs using the built-in messaging mechanism on the site.  That wouldn't make much sense here due to the Groups.io infrastructure.

All give the member the option as to whether or not they wish to be able to be privately messaged.  I'd think in this case all it would require is a "visibility switch" for the e-mail address/button where if the member elects to not receive private messages that just would not show for them.

I agree that this applies only to other regular group members.  Moderators and Owners must always be able to privately message anyone who's a member of a group.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 
The terrible state of public education has paid huge dividends in ignorance.  Huge.  We now have a country that can be told blatant lies — easily checkable, blatant lies — and I’m not talking about the covert workings of the CIA. When we have a terrorist attack, on September 11, 2001 with 19 men — 15 of them are Saudis — and five minutes later the whole country thinks they’re from Iraq — how can you have faith in the public? This is an easily checkable fact. The whole country is like the O.J. Simpson jurors.

~ Fran Lebowitz in Ruminator Magazine interview with Susannah McNeely (Aug/Sept 2005)

Join main@beta.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.