moderated Re: Starting separate thread on new "email" feature

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 10:15 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Would you also consider allowing individual members (in a group with directory viewable by subscribers) to opt out of the email feature, in case they prefer not to be contacted but don't want to make their profile invisible?
And that's generally an option on most forums with regard to private messaging, whether said private messaging comes via e-mail or an internal messaging system or, as is also often the case, both.  One forum on which I moderate sends e-mail messages indicating that a private message has been received, and with a copy of its contents, but all actual messaging occurs using the built-in messaging mechanism on the site.  That wouldn't make much sense here due to the Groups.io infrastructure.

All give the member the option as to whether or not they wish to be able to be privately messaged.  I'd think in this case all it would require is a "visibility switch" for the e-mail address/button where if the member elects to not receive private messages that just would not show for them.

I agree that this applies only to other regular group members.  Moderators and Owners must always be able to privately message anyone who's a member of a group.