moderated Re: Hashtag and Topic reply to overrides

Bruce Bowman

Wow, Mark. I read this three times and it still left me pretty bewildered! So I've been clicking around a bit and...

On hashtags, I've removed the Reply Only To Sender checkbox and replaced it with a dropdown featuring all possible reply to options (all hashtags with the existing Reply Only To Sender were converted to the new scheme). Also, I've made it so that you can override the group's reply to on a topic by topic basis.
Okay, it's been a struggle, but I think I've finally gotten this part.

If a topic has a hashtag that overrides the group reply to and the topic is also set to override the group reply to, the topic setting takes priority.
That strikes me as sensible.

If there are multiple hashtags for a topic that override the reply to, it is not defined which one 'wins out'.
This is cause for concern, is it not? Can't we make the first hashtag win, or something? Any order of precedence is better than none.

In the /topics page, the dropdown displays the 'effective' reply to, as either set by a hashtag or on the topic itself.
From what I'm seeing, the "effective" reply-to for the topic displays in italics, right?

This can lead to some weird behavior: if you have a hashtag with a reply to, setting 'Use Group Reply To Setting' with the dropdown will never 'stick', because the hashtag is forcing a reply to change in the absence of a topic reply to setting. (You can go to the Edit Topics page and remove the offending hashtag if you wish).
I haven't actually tested this, but if an option from the dropdown isn't going to work, wouldn't it make sense to grey it out or something like that?

If you go to the Edit Topic page, the Reply To setting there is the setting for the topic itself, not modified by any applicable hashtags (ie this is different than the dropdown on the /topics page).
I am confused as to how this drop-down setting is different from the drop-down "override" selections in Topics view. Whatever changes we make to the topic reply-to setting via this page will also override any hashtags, right?

This is a bit complicated, I know. Please let me know if you see any bugs or have suggestions for improvements.
You bet. I kinda like this but am curious as to where the notion came from (i.e.: I haven't seen any topics on it here in beta). Good luck writing the documentation!

Regards,
Bruce