moderated Re: Language

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 02:40 PM, ro-esp wrote:
Gender based should have a en dash.
I had to look up that one. I never heard of en dashes and em dashes and thought they were the same as hyphens..
The complaint should have been that "gender based" requires a hyphen, not an em dash. So that's the first problem. Second, the hyphen is NOT required. Not any more, according to AP style and other style conventions. Hyphens are going out of style to the extent that they should be left out except where the meaning is unclear. The meaning is perfectly clear in this case, so the hypen (not em dash) is unnecessary.