moderated Re: Language

ro-esp

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 05:42 AM, J_Catlady wrote:

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 07:58 PM, Sharon Villines wrote:
Gender based should have a en dash.
I had to look up that one. I never heard of en dashes and em dashes and thought they were the same as hyphens....

It's a style issue.
No it's not. It's a matter of clarity. "gender-based/genderbased" is one word, an adjective. "gender" is a noun, "based" is a verbform, a participle.
"overpopulated/over-populated" is one word, not two

They're going out of style, and I would not use unless
meaning is unclear. I'm fine without it.
I'm not. Excessive use of spaces is killing clarity, both in English and Dutch.

groetjes, Ronaldo