moderated Moderator vs Manager

Sharon Villines

Many people have a negative response to the idea of a “moderator” on a list of equals, where everyone is sharing with each other like a team. On small lists, I have often made everyone on the list an owner and/or moderator.

A moderator is "someone who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion” like a president or chair person.

People respond better to “manager” which is usually a more accurate description. People seem to think of it more as a technical support role.

Just a thought unless others experience the same phenomenon.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC

"Let us make a special effort to stop communicating, so we can have some conversation." Judith Martin