moderated Re: Web-only group #suggestion

Jim Higgins

Received from J_Catlady at 10/1/2018 01:04 AM UTC:

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 05:49 PM, Jim Higgins wrote:
What is the purpose of web-only other than to permit making the group anonymous?

Well, that's the main reason. But I like the idea on its own more and more. For one thing, my suggested implementation generalizes to giving moderators sole control over certain aspects of members' subscription options, such as the display name, already requested. I also think the other suggested implementation (sending emails but somehow hiding the senders' actual email addresses) could be extremely confusing to users. In one group, the emails are legitimate email addresses. But mysteriously, in another of their groups, the email addresses are phony. I think that could create havoc. The web-only concept strikes me as very clean and transparent.

I think this is getting repetitive ....

Yes... I'll admit to pushing repeatedly for a response that makes sense to me.

One would hope someone joining an anonymous group would be told it's anonymous and past that wouldn't need much explanation why email addresses aren't revealed. They aren't revealed for most groups now when accessed via the web and I don't see mass confusion.

Jim H