moderated Re: Email delivery with Hotmail and MSN

Jim Higgins

Received from Michael Pavan at 9/2/2018 09:06 PM UTC:

A couple of errors in email delivery with Hotmail and MSN.

My user with a Hotmail address has not received the most recent email
from the group.
Queued mail for delivery -> 250 2.1.5

And MSN:
Queued mail for delivery -> 250 2.1.5

These aren't errors. This mail was delivered successfully. All response
codes beginning with 2 indicate success of the requested transaction.

I think most people believe the meaning of "Email Delivery History" is: "if, and when emails were delivered",
and that the meaning of "Queued mail for delivery" is: "queued and still waiting to be delivered" until the "Email Delivery Histor" is updated to show when it was delivered.

That's a reasonable assumption... as long as you also read the whole message to see WHO made the report on delivery status and WHO might be queueing (delaying) the mail. In the case where specific examples were given, it was Outlook.com. Outlook.com belongs to Microsoft... as do MSN and Hotmail. And even if that isn't common knowledge, none of them are Groups.io. So the delivery message was Outlook.com telling Groups.io, "I've got the mail and will deliver it to my customer momentarily." Groups.io has no way to determine whether Outlook.com actually follows thru... so Outlook/MSN/Hotmail customers who aren't getting mail, but who have 250 status reports at GIO, need to contact Outlook/MSN/Hotmail.

Jim H