Re: setting to moderate every thread a member starts #suggestion

I'll walk that back a little. I do see you point: they might *start* doing it, even if they're not doing it now.

Yesterday I heard an NPR "Freakonomics Radio" piece on incentives and rules backfiring. In one South American country recently (which one it was escapes me at the moment), there was so much traffic congestion and pollution that they came up with a program where you could only drive on certain days of the week, depending on the last digit of your license plate. So people starting buying one more car. Then two more. Some people even got three or four more cars! And they were buying old clunkers, so the pollution got worse.

In another situation, somewhere in the U.S., the area was being overrun by pigs. They started a "pig eradicatio"n incentive program, paying people $45 per pig tail, incentivizing them to kill the pigs. Strangely, the pig overpopulation problem got worse: people were buying pigs somewhere else for $5 each, killing them, and presenting the tails for their $45. (I know, this is awful...)

Anyway, it is odd sometimes how people getting around rules can make situations worse. However, I am confident this will not happen in my group if the feature is implemented, and probably not in Helen's, either. I think the bad subject lines would be caught and fixed so fast that the senders might not even realize it was happening. Same with putting the thread on moderation (if that part is implemented).

On Sun, Sep 2, 2018 at 5:03 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I haven’t experienced that happening in the three+ years of running my group. Strangely, my group members tend to start *too many* new threads. But if your group members do that, then don’t use the festure. Simple.

On Sep 2, 2018, at 4:34 AM, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 09:13 AM, ro-esp wrote:
This thing starts to make sense now. Yes, it can be a nuisance when people use the reply-button for things that are not replies.

However, a "new threads moderated" feature won't solve that...
Exactly why I *don't* like this idea. To avoid moderation, subscribers will simply start hijacking threads instead of starting a new one.

To me, this is a far worse scenario than the original problem.

Bruce