locked Re: Delete Group

Marlin47

Mark, I have a suggestion for that, please do not ever consider a requirement of a poll that asks members to vote on a new moderator.

Why?    Well, for example,  there is a group on Yahoogroups I would love to become a moderator of, but, there is no way in the world that I am willing to show all the spammers on there what my email address is.

These guys are sending the most vile messages you can imagine to what was once a very good group, but there is no way I would want  a hundred or so of those guys to know what my email address is, as I would become, well, a target.

I would think if you sent a message to the indicated owner and it bounced back to you, for a period of (X) number of days (a value you can determine) that you can consider the owner to be nonexistent.

At that point, just interview the person asking to be made moderator, via email, you certainly ought to be able to decide whether he is legitimate, and make him a moderator.

Maybe without the ability to delete the group, that would be fine.

Marlin

On 2/16/2015 4:06 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 9:38 AM, <robertgmam@...> wrote:
Fine in theory but in practice this has been a problem on Yahell where owners have vanished and mods are left trying to run the group. In my case I would like to delete the group as I have replaced it with one of which I am the owner (and taken the members with me). I can't as I don't have the privilege but would like to as a protest against the abomination that is 'neo'. In time I intend to migrate my group to groups.io but it would be nice to eliminate both from Y! Groups. I don't know how this scenario would play out on groups.io, but it might arise(god forbid!).

I understand, but I think that's tangental to how the Delete Group privilege should be handled (the now vanished owner might not have granted you the Delete Group privilege to begin with).

I know some discussion has started here about how to handle groups when owners disappear, and I think that's a very important discussion. I have not participated in the discussion so far, because this isn't really an issue yet with a new service like Groups.io, and I have to prioritize my focus. But like I said, I know it's important, and I absolutely want to have a system/policy in place to deal with it.