moderated Re: Site updates #changelog

If there is the option to disable hashtags, what exactly would that mean? Specifically, I'm wondering what would happen if there are hashtags already in use and then the group changes to "disable hashtags." What happens to the hashtags page, for example? Would it be truly eliminated or would it just become invisible? Similarly, if the group changes back to undisable hashtags after they've been disabled, are the messages with #xyz suddenly (or again) treated as if they have hashtags?