moderated Re: Calendar missing "Last" function for repeating events

Michael Pavan

Would this work if the event was initially scheduled when the “Last”
was also the “Fourth”, rather than the “Fifth"?
No, then you get the fourth. To be shown my proposed option you'd need to start by creating the event on a fifth/last date.

I hadn't thought of it, but the idea could easily be extended to incorporate the fourth, simply by showing an option to select between fourth and last if the date happens to be a fourth. That way you're covered.

It just seems like the existing algorithm was designed for 28 day
months, ... doesn’t it make more sense to just to start with a 31 day
month in mind?
I don't know that there's a mindset issue involved.
I agree that this 'fix' with a radio button ‘works’ to correct the mis-diagnosis of whether an event is 'fourth', 'fifth', or ‘last’; but it’s sort of like the models that ‘worked’ of our solar system with the Earth as center, rather than the Sun.

One benefit of the current scheme is that you can't create a logical problem by defining a repeat that doesn't include the start date (the date on which you created the event).
??? I don’t think this ‘logical problem’ can logically exist.
How could one define a repeating event if not from its start date?
All repeating events have to repeat an initial event, otherwise they are simply all initial events which coincidentally are identical except for their dates.
Would one have to schedule two or more identical initial events (except for dates) and then merge them somehow??
Or something else?

I'm not sure what the proper interaction is between choosing "fifth" and also a "Repeat Every" greater than one. The current behavior seems to be an intersection of the two (every nth month, unless there isn't a fifth that month).
Any "fifth" only occurs 4 or 5 time a year - usually every 3rd month, but sometimes the 2nd or 4th month.

If an event 'repeats every fifth' one would want to select "Repeats Every" as "1", because "2" implies 'repeats every second fifth' and "3" 'every third fifth', etc.

Selecting “1” works to schedule 'every fifth’.

Selecting “2” does not schedule ‘every second fifth’ - what is does is only check every second month for a ‘fifth’.
Selecting “3” does not schedule ‘every third fifth’ - what is does is only check every third month for a ‘fifth'.

That's probably a sane choice.
It is probably a safe and practical choice, as I doubt any ‘last’ events are not every ‘last’.
It would seem the logical choice would be "every nth fifth”, in other words “every nth (every month unless there isn’t a fifth that month)”.

-Michael