moderated Re: Repeating request for character limit in auto signature

Jim Higgins

Received from J_Catlady at 7/31/2018 01:16 AM UTC:

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 06:03 PM, Jim Higgins wrote:
I wasn't logged in, but one click and 3 seconds and the profile info was on my screen. You don't need to log in if you don't explicitly log out.

I don't get what you mean here. If you mean you were logged into the site already because you had not logged out, then you WERE logged in. Right?

No. My browser wasn't running; I wasn't logged in.

Yes, groups.io keeps you logged in for a month.

Yes and no. You don't remain logged in. A cookie on your computer contains the credentials you need in order for Gio to log you in without the need for you to MANUALLY enter any UserId or Password information.

My point is that many of our group members don't log in at all, ever.

Then - unless that hurdle can be somehow leapt, the idea of putting info in a profile and a link to that profile in messages sent by that person won't work.

It seems to me as an Owner that at some point group members need to do something to help others better help them... whether it's to shorten their signatures to contain only the required basic info... or something else aimed at achieving some sort of more cooperative symbiosis. "When in Rome" and all that...

Jim H