moderated FW: [win10] General notice: my email address appears at the end of list footer... Don't worry

Hi all,

Please circulate the following letter to other Groups.IO lists where members raised concerns regarding email addresses being inserted at end of footers. Thanks.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 8:13 AM
To: win10@groups.io
Subject: [win10] General notice: my email address appears at the end of list footer... Don't worry

Hi everyone,

Please circulate the following to members of other Groups.IO forums:

Dear forum members,

On June 12, 2018, a person who is member of several Groups.IO raised concerns that his or her email address was showing up at end of messages. Upon further investigation (looking at list archives, Groups.IO’s Beta forum archive and so on), it was determined that this is a feature to let you see which email address is subscribed to a given forum and is used to reduce confusion when leaving a forum.

Thus:

  • Should I panic: no.
  • Will my email address show up on list archives: no.
  • Are there other ways my email address might be used for malicious purposes such as spam: yes, but not for this situation.
  • What about those participating via web: they won’t see email addresses when they compose new posts or replies.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph