moderated Re: Accessibility Related: "Dropdown Links" on Groups.io Main Page

Sarah k Alawami

I actually don't understand what the issue is. For me it's totally accessible. I hit it and vo says expanded I then can filter like you said, I can then just go to where I need to go. I fi arrow away and back to it I hear "expanded: so I just hit space to make it not expanded. Maybe it's just me being used to these things but for me it is not an issue. I've dealt with these kind of things in wordpress and voiceover renders it correctly over here.

On May 24, 2018, at 4:00 PM, Andre Polykanine <andre@oire.org> wrote:

Brian,
Oops, I'm sorry.
You are absolutely right. Moreover, JAWS (which I use) sees an odd
character (reported as U+F028) and this particular character is the
link, not the word "topics". And yepp, dropdowns are not indicated in
a11y tree.

--
With best regards from Ukraine,
Andre
Twitter (English only): @AndrePolykanine

------------ Original message ------------
To: main@beta.groups.io
Date created: , 10:21:40 PM
Subject: [beta] Accessibility Related: "Dropdown Links" on Groups.io Main Page

Andre,

We're talking apples and oranges here. I am speaking about the groups.io main page, not the main page for a specific group on groups.io. That is where you do your unmuting of threads you've previously muted via the e-mail interface.

The respective links that act as dropdown triggers for topics and hashtags, respectively, are:

https://groups.io/#messagemenu (topics)

https://groups.io/#tagsmenu (hashtags)

Each of these is announced by NVDA as though it were just a link like any other link, with no indication that it is a control to let you reveal your choices for that category by activating it. When you activate it, NVDA does say expanded, then you need to arrow down to hear the three links that are your choices.

--
Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134
Knowledge consists of a collection of uninspired facts. Wisdom is their artful use.

Join main@beta.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.