moderated Re: AOL problem

And to emphasize my point: unsub/resub seems like essentially a no-op anyway. In GMF (I’m no longer there) I heard arguments that it’s useful because it forces the member to do something affirmative to stay in the group. But I disagree that it creates a meaningful barrier. The whole process currently, and as proposed, strikes me as a ridiculous charade. I direct-add my unsubbed members back in to save them the confusion and the headache. And despite that, the same member has never been slammed twice in a row. It seems almost random.

On May 10, 2018, at 9:24 AM, Bob Bellizzi <cdfexec@...> wrote:

I think that Catlady hit the nail on the thumb, none of our  schemes is any better than the simple unsubscribe.

I tried to stop looking at this thread because it's a really tough knot to open for so many reasons.

One of the biggest problems is that in many cases, the intended recipient is not informed of the groups.io message being intercepted and never delivered to them in any form.  Input from groups.io just stops because it's turned back at the email supplier.
In that case, there is no communication possible between groups.io and the intended recipient to instruct the recipient, period, so all schemes depending on communication are not possible.

Secondly, people do not like change and in many cases are fiercely loyal to their email provider often just because they don't want to have to leave a familiar environment or don't wish to lose the "freebees" provided by the email provider for the express purpose of keeping them as clients.

So showing them how to set up any new provider account doesn't seem an option.

Finally, I'm going to ignore this thread unless Mark introduces a change to the current process of handling spam notices.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®