moderated Re: Default membership to the update group

Tom Vail

It is not really a hardship, but just one more “button” to push which will take folks to a place where most people don’t need/want to go.  And when they do, then they have to figure out how to get back.

As you suggested, it is likely a hold-over that may have lost its usefulness.  IMHO, when designing a system, the KISS principle always works the best.  Keep it very simple for the basic user, and then allow the more advanced opt-in to additional features.

Peace,

Tom

From: <main@beta.groups.io> on behalf of Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...>
Reply-To: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io>
Date: Thursday, May 3, 2018 at 5:23 PM
To: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [beta] Default membership to the update group

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 02:20 pm, Tom Vail wrote:

If it is an FAQ, and not being emailed, then why have them be members?   It just confuses the not-so-savvy user, which I would guess it the vast majority.

I think it's a throwback to the time when groups.io was smaller and Mark may have needed a way to contact everybody about system issues. As the service has grown its utility has no doubt diminished and I agree that it may be time to abandon the notion.

What I'm struggling to understand is exactly what hardship it is causing. Your subscribers aren't getting emails and they don't have to visit the Updates group if they don't want to. I have not personally had a single person in my group make any inquiries about this. So what's the problem?

Thanks,
Bruce

Join main@beta.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.