moderated Re: Make Basic level accounts paid

Sarah k Alawami

I tried that wiht my podcast and for me that did not work. I got a bunch of emails saying, can I have this for free and that for free etc? Then I lost about half of my subscribers. This after 12 years by the way of podcasting. So this is a hard battle.

On Apr 24, 2018, at 6:37 AM, Elshara Silverheart <joshbrn004@...> wrote:

I'd pay for enterprise if:
The service was $15.00 or less per month. All features included. Even
if it was the only plan available.
The more people who started a group, the more money you would make.
Free is just a model many tend to abuse. I think the more emails
someone sends out, the more people should have to pay for that. You
pay an additional $0.05 per email. therefore you're getting your
money's worth. On top of the premium basic network fee.
I also think paying for features should be a thing. Each additional
integration, each additional setting change, charge for it. That way
you learn to truly appreciate and use what you pay for. Make each
additional post something members can pay to access. That way you as
the creator are also earning revenue.
Quit the free service. You'll thank your lucky stars when you get paid
more when you do it.

On 4/24/18, Paul W. Rankin <paul@...> wrote:
HI Mark,

I'm a big believer in paying for the web services I use. I tend to agree
with this (archived) post from the Pinboard blog:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120921032442/https://blog.pinboard.in/2011/12/don_t_be_a_free_user/
and related Hacker News: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13449875. And
there's evidence that paying users appreciate the product they pay for more
than free users.

Looking at the plans, the Basic level offers so much that I'm really
surprised it's offered for free, but then looking at the Premium feature
set, there's nothing there that I really want. I'd like to use my own
domain, but mostly out of vanity, which is not enough to prompt me to go
Enterprise (which is actually far too expensive for me). I'd like to pay for
Groups.io but at the current pricing levels I don't have much motivation to
do so.

I saw your note regarding increasing revenue:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/16791. IMHO the most obvious and
easiest way to do this is to charge for Basic level accounts. If the Basic
level cost something like $3/month or $30/year this would be an easy
decision, and I'd be very skeptical of anyone who says they
couldn't/wouldn't pay that to maintain their group.

(This said, I also understand that people do run open source projects or
volunteer groups where any expenditure becomes a sticking point, so I'd
suggest there's still a space for a public-only free accounts that lack
some/most of the features in Basic.)

Paul