moderated Re: Change ownership on files and photos

William Finn

I see your point but the jury is still out on weather a public group/forum falls under this knowing that the user shares their data on here with knowledge that others can access it.

You must also consider that context t stored on here are not official versions of the documents and that they are published on here as a convince copy of the items posted to be generally shared.

Mark has plans to meet with his legal team to identify the effects of such regulations on groups.io

The main application of these regulations is copyright law and data protection.

The legal team may seem that content shared on a public group service does not apply as the user shared the data knowing it can be accessed by others

Also if such regulations does prevent such sharing then Yahoo, Google and every other forum, group service will have to shut down.  This we know wont happen.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018, 6:38 PM toki <toki.kantoor@...> wrote:
On 04/13/2018 10:24 PM, William Finn wrote:

> How about doing it at a folder level and the rights propagate to all containing files and sub folders

_Right of Attribution_, which is part of EU law on copyright, comes into
play here. You can't arbitrarily remove the name of a creator, from
their work. The definition of "work" is intentionally broad, and vague.

As a second point, GPDR compliance requires that changes be done within
five working days (Estonia). Ireland, with thirty days to comply,
appears to be an outlier.

If done at the folder level, the only legally acceptable solution I can
see, is that an individual can only upload material into a folder they
own. Two immediate consequences are:
* No more shared folders;
* No content outside of a folder;

Both _Right of Attribution_ and GPDR apply, regardless of the format of
the content/data in question.

I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.

jonathon