moderated Re: Lock Profile Display Names

Like J, I am hesitant to restrict a member's control over their own accounts. Having said that, I have a group that at one time had a big problem with anonymous trolls. The solution I use is to require a full name somewhere in the message or email address for all posts. (There are a few exceptions we allow where a person's name might bring problems should a quote show up outside the group.)

Members are set to unlimited moderation and stay that way until I know they're going to follow that rule. I'm very upfront about that rule and with treating people on the group with the same decency we would use for a person on the street. It's a little more work for me, but it seems to work itself out right away. I remind them that they're adults and have a few responsibilities to the group, and the privilege of not being moderated is tied to those.

Dano