moderated Re: Categories for groups -- idea suggestion

RickGlaz <rickglaz4742435@...>

Good point Walter.
This is looking (to me) like working toward having something similar
to what the major search engines already do behind the curtain. (Or try.)

I.E. Fuzzy searches that give analogous synonyms. (An oxymoron<?> in itself...)

It might be difficult to predict 'all' tags in advance, or have a pick list
small enough that people would actually use it.

I don't use tags a lot yet.

Rick

On April 3, 2018 at 9:38 PM Walter Underwood <wunder@wunderwood.org> wrote:

Tags defined by group owners kind of work, but mostly not. The same idea might be tagged with:

* BSA
* Boy Scouts of America
* Boy Scouts
* BoyScouts
* boyscoutsofamerica
* Scouts BSA
* Scouting
* Scouts USA
* Scouting USA
* Boy Scouting
* Scouts
* Scouting
* The Real Boy Scouts
* you get the idea

This is why controlled vocabularies were invented. User tagging only works for the most popular categories. After that, it fails spectacularly.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org
http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)