moderated Re: Categories for groups -- idea suggestion

Sharon Villines

If it is broad categories, I think an academic library set of subjects is better than one from a bookstore.

Of the categories you listed, I still wouldn’t be able to find a place fro my groups.

• 000 – Computer science, information & general works
• 100 – Philosophy and psychology
• 200 – Religion
• 300 – Social sciences
• 400 – Language
• 500 – Pure Science
• 600 – Technology
• 700 – Arts & recreation
• 800 – Literature
• 900 – History & geography

This one is more inclusive

Sharon

On Apr 3, 2018, at 4:35 PM, Al Ludwick / NN4ZZ <@NN4ZZ> wrote:

There is a basic decision to be made.

• Should there be a concise (i.e. 20 -30 entries) single level list of broad categories or should there be a more detailed system (i.e. multi level with hundreds of entries)?

Since we can already search for a group by a key word, the complex method already exists to a large degree. My vote is for the simple, short list of broad categories primarily to make browsing groups simple.
There are pros and cons for each so I doubt there will be a consensus. I can see why this idea has been on the list for several years, there is probably no perfect answer.

I mentioned earlier that I'd update my category list based on the feedback and here it is below. I broadened a few categories and the list grew by 1 to 21, still pretty short.

<Categories V3.jpg>

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

<Categories V3.jpg>