moderated Re: Categories for groups -- idea suggestion

Chris Jones

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 05:07 am, Al Ludwick / NN4ZZ wrote:
Anyway I took a quick pass at making a short list limited to 20 items, sorted alphabetically.
Adopting the role of Devil's Advocate for a minute... or several.

Firstly although it is not a topic that I would necessarily need to search for, where would Animal Health, Welfare,& Rescue fit into your table? I'm not sure that it would really be a good fit with Medical... .

Secondly, although I am a Radio Amateur myself I think you have been a bit naughty putting it in the list. It is, after all, a hobby and really has no more claim to being specifically listed by name than (say) Embroidery.

Thirdly, I am a member of 2 Groups with a specific interest in military communications, mainly from a historical perspective. I'm far from certain that Military...(etc) would necessarily be a good fit, mainly because of the "historical" connection. Would they fit Hobbies?  I'm not sure about that either. A sub - species of Amateur Radio? Well perhaps, but not a particularly good fit. Come to think of it, where would History fit into your list? (FWIW a further 2 similar groups are considering migrating to Groups.io)

While your list is much better than I expected, it seems to have large gaps (such as History) and it is not clear how that topic could be accommodated without it needing to be No 21 in the list.

I have absolutely no idea how many Groups.io hosts, much less how many more might turn up in the future. I am not trying to suggest that your notional limit of "20" should be increased by a large number, but I strongly suspect that any category that turns out to have a lot of completely disparate groups will need to have its own separate list, accessed from the main one.

Chris