moderated Re: automatic deletion, why?

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 8:06 AM, Lena <Lena@...> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 11:56 pm, Dave Sergeant wrote:

> why do Yahoogroups, Google Groups and all my
> other various email list providers continue to work well without having
> this automatic unsubscribe? Why have groups.io to do it

Because groups.io is not too big to block.

Lena's right. We currently peak at a little under 5M emails sent a day, which is a lot, but not so much that it would have a ton of fallout for blocking us. I think we're still in the range of "AOL is blocking you, it's your problem" vs "AOL is blocking you, it's their problem".

I signed up for the FBL systems because I didn't want us to be blocked. No one will use an email group service that suffers delivery issues. I've tried to make it as easy as possible to deal with false positives, with a one click re-subscribe. As a (I think valuable) bonus, list moderators know that their messages aren't ending up in spam folders.

No email provider will provide documentation on how their spam system works. Understandable, but that leaves me guessing about things. Here were some of my guesses:

- Signing up for an FBL makes us more legitimate, therefore perhaps we will suffer fewer blocks/be given more leniency
- Having a 'forcing function' that gets people to train spam filters to not mark Groups.io email as spam hopefully decreases the future likelihood of emails being marked as spam
- Fewer messages being marked as spam also makes us look more legitimate to those email providers
- Fewer messages being marked as spam will make group moderators happy and reduce support issues

But like I said, all of these were guesses and nobody was going to tell me whether they were correct.

We're signed up for the following FBL systems: aol.com, outlook.com, rr.com, earthlink.net, yahoo.com

We have been temporarily blocked by Earthlink at one point. I think we were also temporarily blocked by AOL at one point. But none of the others. I'm not sure this disproves my guess or not.

Right now, we're averaging 1 spam complaint to our hosting service (Linode) every 3 weeks or so. These days those seem to fall into 2 categories: someone on a group transferred from Yahoo, who is apparently confused and angry about what happened. The other category is reports from juno.com email addresses. I have no idea what's going on with those, as it doesn't appear to be based on complaints from the members involved. I think this level of complaints is ok, given the number of emails we send and the number of members we have. But I don't know what Linode's threshold for annoyance is; I have not talked with their trust and safety department and they don't seem to want to talk with me about it.