moderated Re: automatic deletion, why?

If you make accusations, some of us are going to defend ourselves. Good night.

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 11:07 PM, Barbara Byers <babmay11@...> wrote:

OK, whatever you say.  Not sure why you feel the need to chime in with snarky remarks.  I have a right to ask my questions like anyone else.

Barb

On 2018-03-20 02:04 AM, J_Catlady wrote:

Nobody is being dismissive. It has been explained here many times before.

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 11:04 PM, Barbara Byers <babmay11@...> wrote:

Thank you for explaining it and not just being dismissive,

Barb

On 2018-03-20 01:28 AM, toki wrote:

On 03/19/2018 11:12 PM, Barbara Byers wrote:

Is this a real negative or just speculation of what "might" happen?

It is a very real threat. Furthermore, it is something that can easily
escalate up to a plethora of email vendors, even if they don't implement
FBL.

Here is how it escalates.
AOL member sends the list mail to the spam bucket.  Member then deletes
the message. AOL sends FBL to Groups.IO. Mark ignores it. Member
receives a second message, which is tossed into the spam bucket, then
deleted. Cycle repeats itself ad infinitum.

At some point, AOL's anti-spam bots kick in, and blacklists Groups.IO as
a spammer.  A week or two passes, and the email from groups.io hasn't
decreased, so the AOL anti-spam bots escalate the listing up to one of
their upstream RBLs. The RBL adds it to their list, and wham. A small,
but significant number of ISPs start rejecting Groups.IO mail. And since
Groups.IO ignores the FBL, these ISPs escalate to their other RBLs.  And
six or so month later, Groups.IO is on everybody's RBL, with no way to
be delisted.

Caveat: I don't know if AOL is as diligent in stopping spammers now, as
it was in its heyday. (Now wondering if AfterBurner was at AOL, or
another site that was frequently considered to be a spam-haven.)

jonathon