moderated Re: Database export as CSV #suggestion

Toby Kraft

Tony, to clarify, I was commenting on how to get the data into a spreadsheet on Android.
The member/database export works well on PC, a little more involved on Android.
Thanks
Toby

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 12:57 AM, Tony Moody <aim@...> wrote:
Hallo Toby,
"It" does that already.  If I do Members/ [sort the way I want]/ Download. The data appears on my browser screen as memberlist.csv.  All I then need to do is do a Save. Ctrl-S and choose where to put it.

Use your spreadsheet program to open that and it should quickly convert that to a spreadsheet, which you can Save As memberlist.ods or whatever.

I tried a Click in the Browser and Drag to a spreadsheet but that didn't work.
What does work slickly (without having to save the memberlist.csv) is:
in the browser window, do a Select All, do a Copy ;
go to the spreadsheet and do a Paste, which will start the Import process.,

Mark thought of everything.

hth,
Tony

On 16 Mar 2018 at 10:39, Shal Farley wrote about :
Subject : Re: [beta] Database export as CSV #

Toby,

Suggest that the button generate a file with a .csv extension and send that with the headers as a download so that users get a file they can open in a spreadsheet program easily.

I prefer it as it is. Usually I copy/paste it into Excel
o In the browser window select all then copy (Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C)
o In the Excel window paste (Ctrl+V)

Being forced to download and open a .csv file seems like more steps to me. If I want to save the .csv file instead of copy/paste it is simple to use the browser's Save As command to write the window to a file.

Shal