moderated Re: Serve HTML files so browser opens them #suggestion

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

It isn't just html files. The same behaviour occurs for all types of files in the Files section. It seems there is no way to view a file. A user can only download files. I've tried jpg images and txt text files and all that happens is that they download. The Edit icon doesn't actually edit any files, so it was no help for viewing a file. Perhaps the hover text on the icon should be "Properties" instead of "Edit".

On the other hand, the Upload procedure is much more user friendly and includes a nice mini-previewer for the text and image files I used to test the upload process.

--
Gerald

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 12:46 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Hello,

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 12:44 PM, Tom H <ve3meo@...> wrote:
HTML files in the Files section merely download when clicked on in a browser. That is really inconvenient. Could the MIME be issued to cause the browser to render the file?

I believe that would be a security issue. Someone could mock up a page that looked like a Groups.io page, asking for your email/password. Someone clicking on the file would think there was a glitch causing them to be logged out and requiring them to log in again. I could put a header around it, I suppose.

What kind of HTML files are you looking to serve?