moderated pending subscription process changed?

In doing some testing today, I noticed that I seem to no longer receive a pending subscription notification until the requesting member has confirmed. Is this new? I used to get members with NC.

(Mark, I can send you the details privately if need be. The pending member/email address in question actually has, and had, a groups.io account, yet received a confirmation email as if they had no account. Furthermore, I did not receive any notice of their subscription request, either in email or in the pending queue, until they had confirmed.)