locked Re: one-click unsubscribe

ro-esp

(sorry, original subjectline made no sense)
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 05:26:29 PST

How about one link to the subscription page to make changes to options & delivery? Like you said, most would probably ignore the footer anyway, so minimal sounds best to me.
I do think there should be a footer with unsubbing instructions..because that's where it's supposed to be. Not having one would only lead to peopole ignoring footers elsewhere, and to unnecessary traffic on your list

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 11:57:39 PST

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 12:47 am, Shal Farley <shal@roadrunner.com> wrote:
Requiring web access for hashtag management raises the tangent question of whether anything can be done for users who haven't yet set a password. I think there is. An automatically generated password could be included in the web links, giving access to anyone that possess the email message. Although email is not generally secure, it is probably secure enough for this purpose. And any user concerned with the security of their Groups.io account would be well advised to set a password, reverting his/her email footers to plain links.
I'm a bit weary. I was thinking about this for unsubscribe links in the emails. It's a bit crazy that they are not one click unsubscribe
You don't want people to (un)subscribe by accident

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 12:28:53 PST

I don't think you're being too careful. I wouldn't want the one-click unsubscribe link for a group. We ran into that on BigTent when they had the footer for awhile. Folks wouldn't trim it out, so anyone could click on the link and unsubscribe someone else.
We obviously don't want that either

The sign-in requirement prevents unsubscribing someone else, but it also
adds "friction" to the unsubscribe process. The industry advice for
mailing lists is that unsubscription be effectively one click and done
so that members are never frustrated by an inability to easily unsubscribe..
Unsubbing should be easy, but I don't care what the industry prescribes (such as TOFU/top-posting)

> I know that Yahoo Groups has an Unsubscription link
The only thing about unsubbing over email that I dislike is the chance that confirmation is done through one of those darned autoresponders

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 17:50:52 PST

The one-click unsubscribe links are best for the users who did not ask to be put on this list and want off NOW!
You mean you want one included in the welcoming message?

However, even if you track the direct-add users versus the ones who signed up themselves, you'll still have the case where messages are forwarded.  Say I like these helpful hints and forward them to all of my co-workers, who in turn forward them to everyone on their mailing lists.  One or multiple of those people get mad, see an "unsubscribe" link without reading anything else, and I wind up off the list I wanted to be on.
It's up to you to trim away those links (and to remember to uncheck the g****** HTML)....

As to having a link (mailto ....) that starts up your email-program.. I dislike those. I suspect most people are smart enough to copy and paste, and prefer that to launching an email-program they never use [happened to me dozens of times when using a public puter]

groetjes, Ronaldo

Join main@beta.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.