moderated Re: Phishing warnings

Mark,

Maybe the fact that the cited message explicitly contained a "password" triggered the report. You've inadvertently joined the dark web...

I'd hate to suspect a smear campaign, but the tone of some of the warnings I've read...

Well that kind of bums me out.

In keeping with Hanlon's razor a perhaps more likely scenario is that a transferred group (or groups) didn't bother to warn their membership before the move.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

Then hapless members receive this out-of-the-blue notice that they've been added to something that sounds vaguely like something they've been a part of. Some fraction of those people panic and assume it is some form of 'hacking" at work.

Of course, even if the group owners did try to inform them beforehand, some members may not have received or paid attention to the notice.

Shal