moderated Re: #transfer

Sharon Villines

On Feb 12, 2018, at 7:58 AM, Southenders Admin <nnnlriep6@...> wrote:

So I'm nervous. Perhaps I've missed something in the presentation that will allow me to worry less.
This is my response to this problem—I posted it a week or so ago on the GroupManagersForum:

I also went through this when I transferred several groups and am confronting it again as I’m proposing moving a main group and about 10 subgroups. Is this trustworthy?

It’s more than a wing and prayer. Mark Fletcher has a long professional career both in running groups and in other software companies. He has a lifetime of contacts as well was experience in the industry. He has made the judgement that he can and wants to do this. If he finds that he can’t or doesn’t want to, there must be some people who would love to take over, and/or someone else, like GoogleGroups will take over the groups on Groups.io.

The business model is excellent and is in use by many businesses based on open source software. The features that Mark has designed are far superior to any of the other free email services and I have to believe even superior to anything that companies have created for themselves. Big companies are only interested in the basic level of service and features that bring in the most revenue. And the revenue is totally independent of the core of the service — email discussion groups. The company could care less as long as the groups are large enough to produce data they can sell or the number of ads they can attach.

The scaled model of services allows people to try the service and develop their group, then upgrade when they need more. It would be very hard if not impossible to find another service with so many possibilities. When I can, I use services, plugins, etc, that have both free and paid levels. The paid levels not only support the free services but they guarantee that the base is well designed and will be updated regularly. The paid services are added onto the free service so it isn’t a different inferior and neglected service.

Email lists provide many more options that forums, message boards, etc. They are more adaptable to individual needs. Some people have a problem understanding asynchronous communications, but with threaded messages and hashtags, all the messages on one topic are easy to read in chronological order. And as long as the speed is fast, searching in one place for a topic is much easier than searching several forums to find responses to questions that might be posted under one or more subjects. Searching “Lemons” will bring up all the mentions of lemons and the messages excerpts can be easily scanned in order for relevance.

A major plus is the open development model. This is incredibly smart and forward looking. It’s the way software development is moving. Think about big company services. They are closed and unresponsive. It is hard to get any information about how they function that isn’t in the help files — and if you can find where it is located in the help files. The chances of any suggestion being implemented are nil. Open development taps into the best programmers and user interface people out there.

AND, perhaps best of all, Groups.io is about discussion groups exclusively. Groups are not in the position of fighting for time and money with other services. Groups are the focus.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
TakomaDC@Groups.io