moderated Re: "Guidelines" now publicly visible! #suggestion #bug

Tony Moody

I am with Shal on this one.

For prospective members to a restricted group it would be good to be able to read a set of the
guidelines on-line (or be sent them). Otherwise how do they know what they are letting
themselves in for?

OK,
Tony

On 25 Sep 2017 at 18:18, Shal Farley wrote about :
Subject : Re: [beta] "Guidelines" now publicl

Mark,

> I have changed the group guidelines to only be visible to subscribers.

I disagree with this change.

It makes it difficult for a group with Restricted membership to let
prospective members know what the rules will be if they join the group.
I don't want to make the whole of the Wiki public for just that page,
nor all of Messages certainly.

Having the Guidelines be public seemed like the perfect solution. I
doesn't make sense to me that a group's guidelines would contain any
private information.

The Pending member notification is almost good enough for this, but even
for this the person must make the decision to apply for membership
before they are told the rules they'll be expected to follow. Seems a
little like bait-and-switch to me.

(And, of course, having to keep a second copy of the guidelines in the
Pending notice would violate J's abhorrence for maintaining multiple
copies - not that I'm actually very concerned by that issue).

Shal

--
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum