moderated Re: Dealing with Terms of Service violations/other complaints

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 06:52 am, James Milligan wrote:
If there's only one owner, regardless of whether it's free or paid, they're the owner of the group, ultimately it's their call what they do with it. If your community(ies) don't want that to happen, then you obviously don't trust the owner? What about normal websites and blogs - if they want to turn it off one day, you can't stop them...
There have been numerous historical cases where, for whatever the root cause, an extant "owner" of a given group could no longer be trusted and a number have been destroyed entirely on whim.

This is a separate issue from the situation when a service provider goes out of business and most, if they are not "shady," will give more than adequate warning of an impending closure to allow those using the service to find substitutes.

In the example you give where a group is quite specifically for the use of some business or organization I would hope that the business or organization would be the group owner and that someone currently employed by said business would be delegated as what gets called the group owner here.  If that person resigns, retires, or dies then the organization would name the next delegated person to assume the role.   Hence the reason I strongly favor the concept and terminology of "group administrator."

There have been a very great many lists/groups "orphaned" out there when a parent entity itself ceases to exist, and you can still find them.  While there have been occasions where a full deletion has been done by and large these things continue their existence either as pure "zombie groups" where any existing members can access them (and many do - some have even effectively become "former employees of X" type groups - and if the owner/administrator kept interest new members fitting the "former employees" or "former members of organization X" can and do still join.)

Usenet, which still exists and parts of which are going strong, is the best example of what becomes of groups over the long term.

In the end, though, if a group has public archives it can never disappear entirely anyway.  One need only visit the Wayback Machine internet archive for clear evidence of that.  This is why I have spent years trying to tell people that anything you ever post in public, or that you have sent to someone that they might post in public, is, for all practical intents and purposes, in the public domain.  Things that enter the public areas of the internet can never be retracted.  The bell cannot be unrung.

--
Brian  - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)
    ~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's