moderated Re: Dealing with Terms of Service violations/other complaints

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 05:04 pm, J_Catlady wrote:
To that I would say, with all due respect, tough shit. If I want to delete my group at any time, for a good reason or for no reason, that is my absolute right and privilege, even if I want to do it "maliciously," as you put it.
And to that, I would say, you are gravely mistaken.   A group owner is nothing more than a group's originator and overseer until or unless they no longer want that role.  A group is, quite literally, owned by its members.

If a group owner wishes to withdraw entirely that's entirely their call.  But they cannot dissolve the group if someone else is willing to step in to the owner role.  Or I guess I should say that it should be an official rule of setting up a group that the owner cannot unilaterally decide to dissolve a group if anyone in the group is willing to assume the owner role.

You have no absolute rights that involve potentially hundreds of group members other than yourself just because you happen to be the founding member.

I personally despise the terminology used here of "group owner" because it creates just the attitudes that you're espousing and that I reject entirely.  Groups have a life of their own that is completely disconnected from the group's founder and I also don't believe that anyone, ever, gets to literally erase the historical record.  Once you've posted to a group, whether public or private, those posts are not your property to do with as you see fit.

--
Brian  - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)
    ~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's