moderated Re: allow member messages with none active #suggestion

Shal/Mark,

I don't want or need a separate welcome message for direct add. Both would have to contain the group guidelines (which are extensive) and the last thing I need is to maintain two copies of that as it changes through time. If not creating a direct-add message will assure that the regular welcome message gets sent to direct-add members, in fine with it. But if we are now going to be forced to have a separate direct-add message that goes out instead of the welcome messsge, there needs to be a better plan. It's bad enough to make me abandon premium membership if that goes into effect. It makes it more trouble than it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 8, 2017, at 11:52 AM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@gmail.com> wrote:

J,

I don't understand at all why it would be left out.
Simple.

Two different messages for two different circumstances.

My Direct Add message is phrased in the context of "we've added you to our mailing list".

My Welcome Message, by contrast, is phrased in the context of someone who found us and joined on their own, thanking them for choosing to join. That phrasing comes off very stilted in the Direct Add context.

For the custom text in direct add, I typically write something
personal to the person being added.
You can still do that, customizing the introduction to the message, then following following that with a "we've added you" version of the Welcome message.

There's no need to pester the person with two separate emails that arrive simultaneously.

Shal