moderated Re: allow member messages with none active #suggestion

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:
Mark,

J wrote:
> It would be convenient to allow message types to exist without always
> forcing one to be active.

I solidly concur. For all notice types.

Ok, I can do that. But we need to talk about welcome messages, because (as Shal unfortunately got bit by), they are a special case. We have a default welcome message that gets sent out if there isn't another (active) welcome message. The message doesn't show up in the Group Messages page. This dates back to the beginning of the service, where I thought it'd be a good idea to have a default welcome so that when someone is setting up a group for the first time, they wouldn't have to worry about it. Here's a proposal:

- When a group is created, a default welcome message is created and made active at the same time.
- You can edit/delete this default welcome message, like any other. If you delete it, you will not have a welcome message at all.

Also, related, when you direct add someone or when an invite is accepted, the default welcome message is currently sent out (or the active one, if there is one). I will change this to conform with the expected behavior; if there isn't a welcome message, it won't get sent out.

Make sense? Sorry for the confusion.