moderated Re: Premium group badge?

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 08:20 pm, D R Stinson wrote:
I think if Mark comes up with a system whereby people could contribute to the ongoing costs of the group, I would want it to be voluntary, with my own account as responsible if the donations dried up.

That's the only way our group would even consider asking members for donations.

I vacillate between thinking it would be okay and thinking it would be an embarrassment.

That expresses my feeling, too.

 Some people might be suspicious of it

Agree there, too. My group is a volunteer group dedicated to helping cats and their owners. I think if people started to get a whiff that there is money involved somehow, even though it's only through altruism on the part of the owner, some of them might not like it. They would not necessarily realize that I am doing it only to make my own life as the group owner easier, and because there was the opportunity to take advantage of the lower grandfathered-in rate. And explaining that stuff is the last thing I want to have to do. I don't even want to highlight the fact that we've gone premium, let alone post a lot of explanations about why. "Why haven't the *other* cats groups gone premium?" (some members of many cats groups might wonder). "What's so special about this group?" (or "what do they THINK is so special about them?") etc. OTOH maybe I'm just being paranoid.

I vacillate between thinking it would be okay and thinking it would be an embarrassment.

Me too.

The only possible advantage I can relate to is the idea that the owner has made some sort of commitment to the group and isn't going to disappear, as suggested in the prior post.