moderated Re: what does 'confirmation' accomplish?

J,

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 5:09 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I've noticed that 'NC' appears next to a pending member only if the pending member is not already a member of groups.io at all. If they are already in some other group besides the one they have (presumably) applied to join, there will be no NC next to their name, so it will look as if they have confirmed for *this* group.

Whether someone is confirmed or not has no relation to how many groups they are subscribed to. And if you're not confirmed, the NC shows up for all your subscriptions.

So (1) after an application for membership comes in from an email address that's already a groups.io member, is a confirmation email still sent? (2) If it is not sent, what's preventing me (or any other groups.io member) from applying to another group via the web, using someone else's' enail address? (3) If it is sent, how does response to it change either the  member's status and/or what the moderator of the group applied to  sees?

That's the whole point of the confirmation process, to prevent people from adding others to groups. (Remember, if you're not confirmed, you can be subscribed but you have no access to the group and don't get messages).